We are dedicated to increasing access to healthy, local food for people of all incomes and backgrounds.
Our FoodStampsX2 program doubles the value of customers' food stamps (SNAP benefits) up to $10 each week.
This means that when a customer swipes their EBT card for $10, they receive $20 in market tokens to spend on vegetables, fruit, meat, eggs, cheese, mushrooms, bread, jam, maple syrup, honey, garden plants, and more – all directly from the people who grow and produce these nourishing products.
The program continues to be incredibly successful and influential. Every year, the number of SNAP users at market has grown by 10-12 regular customers per week. In 2012, we doubled over $13,000 of SNAP benefits. We averaged 52 EBT transactions per market and regularly had 60 or 70 transactions per market. We are on target in 2013 to double $15,000 of SNAP benefits. In total, we help many hundreds of inviduals and families put good food on their tables through the entire growing season. Here are some quotes from recipients of the program.
“The doubling of SNAP benefits is an enormous assist to those of us with tight budgets.”
“I’m able to meet nutritional requirements to maintain a higher quality of health than last year.”
“If it weren’t for this program, I would run out of food long before my benefits recharge. And the food is far healthier than most store-bought groceries.”
“I so much appreciate a farmers market that makes fresh, healthy, organic and local foods available to all people.”
Because there is no DTA office in Hampshire County, we are collaborating with The Food Bank of Western MA to make sure there is always someone at market who can screen potential SNAP recipients and inform future recipients about our doubling program right from the start (what better way to let people know than surrounded by fresh, beautiful food?). Our staff and interns are now trained to offer reliable information and to screen potential candidates for SNAP benefits.
We are also working hard to increase food accessibility not only through FoodStampsX2, but also through In The Kitchen, a collection of offerings and events designed to inspire and assist people in the preparation of whole, seasonal foods. We are handing out simple recipes every week, organizing recipe swaps and an occasional potluck, and personally welcoming new customers to market.
We also offer art projects for kids every week, allowing hard-working parents to relax, to shop, and to be inspired!
So that's FoodStampsX2, and WE NEED YOUR HELP!
First of all, please tell everyone you know that Tuesday Market accepts food stamps. Tell them that Tuesday Market will double the value of any customer's food stamps (up to $10).
FoodStampsX2 is funded entirely by individuals and businesses in our community. Please help! We need to raise $15,000 by October 1st in order to continue our program through the rest of this season and into next year. Ninety-five percent of your gift goes directly to doubling SNAP benefits at Tuesday Market. The rest of your gift allows us to organize our 1-2 fundraising events each season.
In honor of our annual Pie Contest & fundraiser, donation amounts come in the shape of pie:
- SLIVER: $10 – Double one family or individual’s SNAP benefits one time.
- SLICE: $50 – That’s a real help(ing)
- HALF-PIE: $150 – Sustain one family or individual doubling their SNAP benefits for half of the market season.
- WHOLE PIE: $300 – Sustain one family or individual doubling their food stamps for the entire market season.
- PIE A-LA-MODE: $500 – Double food stamps for every recipient at one market of the 30-market season.
Here’s how to donate:
- Contribute cash and checks directly at the Tuesday Market tent (purple awning).
- Or: Send checks made out to Tuesday Market to 1 Ventures Field Rd, Northampton, MA, 01060 (please write FSX2 Donation in the Memo line.)
- Or: If you’d like to make a larger, tax-deductible donation, please make checks out to our fiscal sponsor, Federation of Massachusetts Farmers Markets with Northampton Tuesday Market Food Stamp Doubling in the Memo line. (Send these directly to the Tuesday Market address listed above or bring them to us at the market tent.)